Sunday, September 30, 2007

Quest 6: Tagging

I like Del.icio.us and have created my own account--click here to see it. I can see so many advantages to using Del.icio.us over my "Favorites" list. The biggest advantage is accessibility. Being able to access my favorite links from any Internet equipped computer is a big plus--I share a computer in my cube at work, usually work at one of two computers at the Reference Desk, and have a laptop computer at home. So now, I need to only sign in to my Del.icio.us account, and then in the words of Emeril, BAM!--I have access to my favorites--it is just so...well, delicious.

In the world of reference services, it would be quite handy to have a Del.icio.us account that is accessible by reference staff at all the branches. We could all share the best sites we have found to assist our patrons; it's like creating one big clearinghouse for the best of the best websites to do our job.

Until this exercise, I hadn't played with Technorati at all. I had heard the term, but I didn't really know what it meant. I see it now as a pretty powerful way to search for blogs. The Advanced Search feature is full of ways to search for what interests you--and the results do vary depending on if you're searching by keyword (got the most hits here as I would expect), tags, or in the blog directory. I took the time to claim my blog (look in the sidebar for the Technorati button to add my blog to your faves) and I like the idea of a watchlist. I haven't created a watchlist yet, but I'm all for making my favorite searches easier. After browsing Technorati for just a few minutes, I was struck by how international it is--there are blogs from all over the world! Technorati...another tool I will have to spend more time exploring. It's easy to get hooked.

I haven't always remembered to add tags to my posts in the past, but after this exercise, I'm going to make a real effort to be sure I do!

No comments: