Saturday, October 6, 2007

Quest 8: Can We All Be Friends?


Social networking seems to be everywhere these days. Now, you can have friends across the world that you've never seen face-to-face or even talked to on the telephone. Gone are the days of selecting your friends just from the people you meet in your life--at work, at church, at school, at parties.... But really, do dogs and cats need social networks? I did find surfing Dogster and Catster fun, but I don't think I could list my cats on Catster (I asked them and they didn't seem interested in making new cat friends).
I didn't realize there were so many social networking sites. Wikipedia lists close to 100 sites (I stopped counting at 75!), so I guess there must be site for just about anyone. While checking out some of the more popular ones (Bebo, Friendster, MySpace, etc.), I couldn't help wondering how my life would have been different if social networks were around 30 years ago when I was in high school. Perhaps I would have kept in touch with more of my school friends if we could have all become "friends" in cyberspace!
After seeing most of our teen patrons on the Internet after school checking out MySpace and wanting help with changing their MySpace pages, I created a MySpace page for myself to play around with so I could learn how to do things the "MySpace way." My MySpace page is pretty lame as a result. But if you're curious what lame looks like, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.