Monday, October 8, 2007

Quest 9: Wikis

I must admit that I used to fear wikis...I think it was because I was able to change something in on the Web that I hadn't created. I was afraid I would "mess it up" or sound stupid. Once I realized that I could always go back in and make changes, I was OK with wikis. As I worked my way through the wikis listed in the Discovery Exercise, I found a couple I will definitely be spending more time exploring. I like the Princeton Public Library's Book Lovers Wiki--it would be great to get our patrons to start posting their book reviews and suggestions on a wiki. I was blown away by all the information available on the Library Success: Best Practices Wiki. I'm starting a book club for adults at our branch and I'll be checking this wiki for ideas on how to make the new club a success.

I would love to see a wiki with key websites around popular reference questions: legal, reader's advisory, SC history, government, etc. that would be available to staff at all branches. I am also going to explore the possibility of using a wiki to help celebrate Teen Tech Week in 2008--perhaps have the teens help by listing their favorite websites.

I went to the TechTrek2.0 Playhouse wiki and added a few of my favorites--very cool and tons of fun! And not scary at all--I'm definitely over my fear of wikis!

No comments: