Monday, August 20, 2007

Quest 4: RSS and Newsreaders

Even though I have attended the SCSL Tech Tracks program which included RSS and newsreaders, I was hesitant to take Quest 4 on. I set up a Bloglines account during the SCSL training and then returned to it only on about two occasions over the past several months. I was surprised Bloglines had not forgotten me, but this demonstrates what I find hard about newsreaders--finding the time to check them on a regular basis. I really like the idea of being able to subscribe to feeds and then loging in to Bloglines to see them all in one convenient place, but I just can't seem to find the time to check them. As of today, I'm subscribing to 16 feeds. My hope is to get into a routine of checking my Bloglines account each day and keeping informed. I've got my fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

By subscribing to library-related or professional feeds, I can try to keep on top of what's happening in the world of libraries and librarians. When I find time for a hobby, I can look for related feeds--I already subscribe to a few "fun" ones--Joke of the Day and New Urban Legends. I've made my Bloglines account public and here's the URL if you want to check out what I've subscribed to so far: http://www.bloglines.com/public/BookLoverLady

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have been trying for days to find out what exactly RSS and feeds are. I blindly signed up for a bunch, and then wandered around wondering where they would show up. Your blog helped me understand it a bit more. I think I'll go visit bloglines and see if they're there. Thanks!

Tama R. Howard said...

I know what you mean! It will be a challenge for me to check on news feeds on a daily basis. RSS is still a little confusing to me, but I enjoy having a couple of favorite links in one place. I hope to use bloglines at home more.

Tama R. Howard said...

Have a happy, happy birthday Nancy!!

Book Lover Lady said...

Hey Anonymous,

Glad my post helped you in a small way to understand RSS and feeds. I feel I still have a lot to learn-but I'm looking forward to it!

And thanks, Tama, for the birthday wishes! The years are flying by!